The Bills’ Damar Hamlin went into cardiac arrest during a game with the team on the field. Bengals: Family spokesman says safety is ‘battle’

In Monday night’s game between the Bills and the Bengals, a scene of fright and excitement played out early in the morning. With 5:58 left in the first quarter, Bills safety Damar Hamlin rose to his feet after a tackle by Bengals wide receiver Tee Higgins. After the tackle, Hamlin stood up but suddenly fell to the ground. He received immediate medical attention at the scene and was taken to UC Medical Center in Cincinnati.

The Bills announced in a statement Tuesday morning that the 24-year-old Hamlin went into cardiac arrest after recovering his heartbeat on the court. The team further revealed that Hamlin was “sedated and in critical condition.”

Shortly after 10 p.m. ET, the NFL officially postponed Monday Night Football between Buffalo and Cincinnati. The league issued the following statement:

Tonight’s game between the Buffalo Bills and the Cincinnati Bengals has been postponed after the Buffalo Bills’ Damar Hamlin went down, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell announced.

Immediate medical attention was given to Hamlin by teams, independent medical staff and local paramedics at the scene. He was then taken to a local hospital in critical condition.

Our thoughts are with Damar and the Buffalo Bills. We will provide more information as it becomes available.

The NFL has been in communication with the NFL Players Association, which agreed to postpone the game.

Hamlin received several minutes of CPR on the field while being placed on a stretcher and was eventually taken to an ambulance. After entering the ambulance, he was given oxygen and the ambulance took him and some family members to hospital.

On Tuesday morning, family spokesman Jordon Rooney provided an update on Hamlin: “I can’t talk specifically about his health. All I can say is, he’s fighting. He’s a fighter. … The family is in great spirits. We’re honestly just taking it minute by hour…the most important thing is to give the family their privacy…his family is going through a lot right now. “

Monday’s game was suspended after Bills coach Sean McDermott and Tigers coach Zach Taylor spoke from the field. About an hour later, the NFL decided to postpone the game. It opted not to discuss the possible rescheduling of games during a late Monday night media call. The decision will ultimately rest in the hands of Commissioner Roger Goodell.

The Bills decided to fly back to Buffalo early Tuesday morning. Late Monday night, Bills and many members of the Bengals visited the hospital.

Around 11:30 p.m. ET on Monday, Hamlin’s agent, Ira Turner, told nfl media: “Please continue to pray for Damar and his family. We have no updates at this time. Please pray for the family.”

Hamlin is in the middle of his second season with the Bills. After appearing in 14 games as a rookie, he earned a spot in Buffalo’s starting lineup this season. Hamlin played at the University of Pittsburgh, where he had 276 tackles and six interceptions.

hamlin’s character Despite being a Day 3 pick, his work ethic landed him on the Bills’ 53-man roster as a rookie. The same work ethic has helped him become a starter this season.

“Damar has done a great job,” Bills general manager Brandon Beane said of Hamlin at his rookie camp. “He’s a very instinctive player. … He’s a great kid, he wants it, he’s working hard, and even though he’s a sixth-round pick, he’s giving himself every opportunity Let yourself be part of it.”

Hamlin’s injury has sparked outpourings of emotion and support across the sports world. Every NFL team has expressed their opinion through social media. Many players also expressed their support for Hamlin and his Buffalo teammates.

CBS Sports will provide more information on Hamlin as soon as possible.

Source link